Now that you have sent your resume/cv out and you have been call to attend an interview, then comes preparation for the interview. Below are some tips for preparing for the interview.
1. Before the interview spend some time to research the organization and the position at hand. To find company-specific information, visit thier website , or talk to current or former employees about their experiences and impressions of the organization if you happen to know any. Read up on the company’s products and services, structure, and any other key information.
2. Identify the organization’s major competitors and do some basic research on how they differ (either positively or negatively).
3. Master your resume properly, if there is any gap be ready to explain to the interviewer(s) why the gap; prepare examples of how your skills and experience make you a strong fit for the organization’s needs. Practice answering directed questions about your experience, education, and skills and how they relate to the position at hand.
4. Identify your strengths and weaknesses. Be prepared to talk about your weaknesses, but find a way to frame them positively. (Post on common interview questions coming soon)
5. Prepare several intelligent questions about the company and position that will demonstrate your knowledge of the company and your sincere interest in the position.
6. For some people that are a bit shy, try put on suit or whatever you believe the dressing culture of the organisation is and sit in front of a mirror and pretend that the image in the mirror is the interviewer, maintain eyes contact as you speak.
7. A day before the interview contact the company to confirm the date and time of your interview. Also confirm the name and title of the individual(s) you will be meeting.
8. Get directions to the interview site. Be sure to double check the directions using a map. This will ensure that you know the way and also give you an approximate travel time
9. On the day of interview, leave yourself plenty of time to get to your interview. Ensure you arrive 10 – 15 minutes before your interview.
10. In case of any disruption to your journey, call to inform the organisation as soon as possible to let them know.
11. Smile and shake everyone’s hand when you are meeting for the first time – you should also smile and shake hands when the interview concludes.
12. To conclude the interview, the interviewer will ask if you have any question(s); Do not hesitate to ask questions be those that you are not clear with during the interview as well as those that you have in mind during your earlier research about the company.
13. To wrap up your session, pitch yourself again in 60sec, to reiterate while you suitable for that role.
14. After the Interview write a quick “Thank You” message to the individual(s) who interviewed you.